Johnson Newlon Camden

Parkersburg Dispatch-News
April 25, 1908

Senator Camden Is Seriously Ill

Relatives Say It's But Question of Days, Even of Hours

In Baltimore Hotel

Son and Daughter At Bedside - All Fear the Worst

Senator J. N. Camden is so ill at the Bellevedere hotel in Baltimore that there is very little, if any, chance of his recovery, and relatives, including his son, have practically given up hope.

His son phoned yesterday that he might live one day or two days, or three, but that there was little chance of his ultimate recovery and there was much discussion of this condition last night.

At 5:30 o'clock last evening Attorney Harry Camden, of this city, received a telegram from Batimore stating that the senator was no worse. About the same time he talked to J. N. Camden, jr., of Versailles, Ky., son of the senator, who has been at the bedside.

According to the message from Mr. Camden, received by Attorney Camden here, he had shown improvement during the day, though the message held out no hope of his ultimate recovery, or even of a brief respite. The message made it appear that his condition was very grave, though as a matter of fact friends have not feared immediate death. However, it is said that it is hard to tell how soon the end will come in the present attack and little hope is held out for the senator's recovery.

The reports over the city last evening that Senator Camden had been claimed caused a profound sensation and much inquiry. When it was discovered that the report of the senator's death was a mistake there was a feeling of relief, but nevertheless there was much discussion of his condition.

According to the best information at hand Senator Camden enjoyed very good health during his stay in Florida during the winter. He came north as was his custom, by the way of Washington and Baltimore, stopping at the latter city with his family for the benefit of his health.

He stopped at the Bellevedere and began taking treatment for an ailment which soon assumed such proportions as to cause alarm. He has been at the hotel about three weeks and his condition has been serious for at least a week.

At the bedside are Mrs. Camden, his son, J. N. Camden, jr., of Versailles, Ky., and Mrs. B. D. Spilman, of Warrenton, Va., his daughter.

Sprigg D. Camden, of this city, is also at the bedside, having hurried to Baltimore at the first intimation of the senator's illness. Mr. Camden went in the first instance to help remove the senator here, but when he got to Baltimore he found him too weak to be moved.

While the phone message received last night indicated that the senator was temporarily better, according to the relatives here it did not amount to real encouragement. In fact, his son said that Senator Camden could not get well and that it was merely a question of hours, hardly of days, until the end would come.

He is also suffering from abcess of the kidneys, which has been accentuated by a heavy cold contracted at Miama [sic], Florida, a few weeks ago. Friends of the senator in this city were extremely anxious last night and while all fear that the end is near, there is much genuine hope for his recovery.

The first news of the senator's serious condition caused a profound shock and the deepest regret. Senator Camden numbers his friends by the thousands in the city and the sorrow over his illness is really state wide. The senator is known all over West Virginia and his suffering will cause regret and sorrow wherever he is known.

Business and Industry

West Virginia Archives and History